There’s no comfort food that brings back childhood memories like stuffed cabbage rolls. These Italian style stuffed cabbage rolls are moist, tender and packed with flavor!
|Prep Time||45 minutes|
|Cook Time||1 hour|
- 1 head green cabbage
- salt and pepper
- 2 T vegetable oil
- 4 ounces bacon chopped
- 1 small onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic sliced
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 28 ounces San Marzano Tomatoescrushed
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb italian sausage
- 1/2 cup Parmiggiano Reggiano Cheese
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley chopped
- 1/2 cup dried prunes chopped
- 1 cup dried bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 4 tsp herbs de provence
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil and season with Salt to taste like the sea. Blanch the Cabbage until tender and bright green, about 5 minutes. Shock in ice water and set aside to dry. Remove leaves.
For the sauce
- In a large sauté pan, add a few tablespoons of Olive Oil over medium-high heat. Add Pancetta and cook until the fat renders out and the Pancetta Crisps. Add the Onion, Garlic, Crushed Red Pepper Flakes and cook until fragrant. Add a teaspoon of Dried Thyme and Dried Basil. Add the Tomatoes and a generous pinch of Salt. Simmer until it comes together, about 5 minutes, and then set aside.
For the filling
- In a large bowl, combine the Ground Beef, Sausage, Pecorino, Parsley, Currants, a teaspoon of Dried Basil and Thyme, Breadcrumbs, and Egg. Season generously with Salt and Freshly Ground Pepper. Using your hands, mix until just combined.
- In a baking dish lightly greased with Olive Oil, ladle a thin layer of sauce. Spoon some of the filling into each of the leaves of Cabbage, and roll up. Arrange over the Arrabiata sauce in the baking dish. Once full, ladle more of the Arrabiata sauce over the stuffed Cabbage and sprinkle with more Pecorino-Romano. Transfer to oven and bake for an hour to an hour and a half, until the filling is completely cooked through. Serve.
For big dinner parties, prepare these a day in advance and simply pop them in the oven an hour before ready to serve. © Galley Chef All Rights Reserved